Taking care of your heart health is important. However, taking your own blood pressure measurements can seem daunting at first. But it doesn’t have to be. Here is our quick and easy guide to a healthier and more confident you.
In order to get an accurate measurement, it is important to follow these rules:
Always take readings at the same time of day, under the same conditions. Always measure on the same arm. The left arm is recommended.
Do not take a measurement within 30 minutes of smoking, drinking coffee or tea or any form of exertion. These factors will influence the measurement.
Ensure at least 5 minutes of quiet rest before measurements. If possible, it is recommended to rest 10 minutes before taking the measurement. Try to always use the same resting time before taking a measurement.
If you want to take multiple measurements, wait approximately 3 minutes before repeating a measurement.
How to use your upper arm blood pressure monitor
If you are taking your blood pressure reading with an upper arm blood pressure monitor, here are some instructions to help you get the best results.
1. Sit down, relax and stay as still as possible.
2. Remove your watch and jewelry.
3. Do not cross your legs and keep your feet flat on the ground.
4. Place the cuff on your left arm in direct contact with your skin (cuff must be 2-3 cm above your elbow).
5. Make sure the tube is facing in the same direction as your hand and is running over the top of your arm.
6. Make sure the tube is not pinched. The cuff should feel tight but comfortable.
7. Turn the device on. Touch the [heart] icon to start.
8. Push button to take a reading.
9. The cuff will start to gently inflate. Keep still and do not speak while the reading is being taken.
10. You can track your results using the Braun Healthy Heart app.
For taking your blood pressure reading with a wrist blood pressure monitor, simply follow these steps.
1. Sit down, relax and keep still, particularly your measuring arm (left).
2. Remove your watch, jewelry or any tight clothing from your measuring arm.
3. Do not move or speak while taking a measurement.
4. Do not cross your legs and have both feet flat on the ground.
5. Fasten the monitor around your wrist, roughly 1cm from it. Make sure the cuff fits tightly and is not covering the wrist bone. If using iCheck® 7, make sure you place it on the palm side. Do not wear like a watch.
6. Turn the device on. Hold the monitor at heart level and do not let the arm fall below this level. If using iCheck® 7 then use the ball-in-hole technology to get the correct positioning.
7. The measurement starts automatically. While the measurement is in progress, do not move your hand or fingers and do not speak.
8. The cuff will gently inflate and then deflate. At the end of the measurement a final beep will sound.
9. Colour coded results help you interpret your reading and track your progress over time.
10. Press the power button to turn the product off. Otherwise, the product will turn off automatically after 1 minute. If at any time, you want to stop the measurement, press the power button.